But it's real, and no longer a part of me.

I went in for a routine check at my dermatologist 3 weeks ago. I asked him about an unusual bump on my face, below my left eye. He acted concerned, and so he biopsied it. I really didn't think much of it because this particular blemish had been on my face for years, but I had noticed it seemed to be spreading.
When I went to get my stitches out from the biopsy procedure the following week, my doctor informed me I had a Desmoplastic Trichoepithelioma - a Tumor that originates from basal cells of hair follicles. He said, "This won't kill you - but it will destroy your face." (I started laughing. Totally inappropriate I know. But his wording surprised me - and that's how I dealt with it.)
So last week I had surgery to remove the tumor. Jody and Gracie came with me. I was thankful to have them there. The surgeon removed the tumor, bandaged up my face and sent me to a room where other people with giant gauze taped to their faces were waiting to hear results. After about an hour of the doctor biopsying the tumor, he came back and said he didn't get it all. He was able to remove the full tumor the second time around. When he took the bandage off my face so he could stitch up the area - Jody's face turned white. I thought he was going to faint.
"There's a huge hole in your face, Sweetie."
That's what you want to hear.
The Surgeon did an excellent job stitching me up. "You're a gem," he said. "I perform 10 surgeries to remove cancer-related cysts from patients everyday - but your type of tumor...I only do two of those surgeries each year."
Strange. Rare. And now Gone.
My tumor was benign (great news) but this type of tumor destroys nerve-endings; in my case affecting the vision in my left eye. I'm thankful everything went so smoothly. I'm really blessed - truly blessed. Here's a picture of the stitches before getting them removed. (Maybe a little too close for comfort. It had been a rough week...)
Jody bandaged up my face before church, four days after the surgery. It had to stay completely covered for a week. (I don't know why we didn't snap a picture of me with the GIANT bandage on immediately after the surgery. Sorry.) Gracie kept me laughing during all of this. She comes up with hilarious new sayings every day. The other day, my mom asked her, "Gracie - are you a Princess?" To which she replied, "No...I'm a Robot." She then started moving her hands in stiff motions and dancing like a robot.
FYI - Princess, No. Robot, Yes!
17 comments:
So glad to hear everything went so smoothly and looks like it is healing great. Crazy how rare your little friend was. I am glad you got it out when you did. Lets get together soon.
Oh and you have some seriously long eye lashes.
Oh I forgot! Your header picture is darling!!! Maybe you could teach me how to do that....and tell me who does all your great pics!
I am glad that everything is okay and that you caught it when you did. Gracie is getting to be quite the comedian!
Your blog looks darling. I am so happy they got the tumor when they did. It is just like you to have a VERY optimistic attitude (when you laughed. We miss you guys and hope to see you soon!
Oh my goodness! I am so glad you asked about it (random!) and it was taken care of so quickly. What a huge blessing. You are still more beautiful than many :)
Gracie is such a doll, I love "seeing" her grow up.
I am so glad it went well. You are amazing!
Trauma Trauma. So glad that everything turned out alright and that they were able to get it all. Love the new pic at the top of the blog!!
Wow. Scary stuff. I'm so glad it all turned out okay.
Brit I'm so glad everything went ok and that you caught it in time.
Did you guys get new pictures taken? I love the header picture, so cute.
A robot huh? What a cutie!
I am glad you are ok. it looks like it is healing really well. keep me posted on your recovery:)
Wow, that is kinda scary. But I'm glad you caught it. You still look beautiful even with a big bandaid on your face. :) I'm sure everything will heal great! :)
Glad you're okay. Having a messed up face wouldn't be so great...especially with your profession!
You are probably the prettiest bandage faced girl I have ever seen. Sorry the doc had to go back for more! Good luck with the recovery.
That's crazy! I had no idea! I've been out of the look with blogging and facebook. I hope you recover soon! I need to call you too. Stuff to talk about!
I am so sorry! I am glad everything went well for you! Gracie is an adorable bow model! So cute!
You are a brave, cool, fearless, journalist to post the pictures you did :) I"m really glad you're okay. YOu are a beautiful person inside and out! Really...
Brittany. I'm so glad to hear you are okay. Hopefully everything heals quickly with no lasting effects. You are an inspiration and a BEAUTIFUL person no matter what you look like! And BIG congratulations on baby #2!!! (You'll have to change the name of your blog?!?) Best wishes.
Post a Comment